Thursday, June 03, 2010

Just say no!

graphics stop sign over phone number 777-9311Often, when I go shopping, I am in shock, and not just because of the bill. Many stores, such as Party City, ask for the customer's phone number as part of the transaction. Now, I say no to this (and last time, perhaps the cashier recognized me and knew not to even ask, because I always pay cash there). Apparently I'm an exception, because almost always, the customer tells the number, which floors me!

This often goes on at Giant and Staples, which have customer loyalty cards; cashiers ask for the loyalty card, and quite often, the customer can't find it, and provides the phone number. Not by punching the phone number into a keypad for the cashier, which might be better, but says it out loud.

Again, whoa! That's identity theft waiting to happen, as you never know who's around you--one of the other customers might be thieves, or in direct marketing, and sell your number to telemarketers. I'm most uncomfortable with how most people passively provide something that should remain private, and which could be misused in the wrong hands.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that for many of these folk, disorganization is something of an issue, as it can be for any of us, at times. But in a few areas, it might be a good thing to try to get things together, such as the financial stuff that we carry around with us. For instance, a wallet with enough compartments to hold all the cards you need (so, it may be time to dump it to see if there are any cards you're carrying that you don't use, to make room). Also ladies, beware the bag as well, and make sure it has enough compartments for all your stuff. (It's amazing to me how some of these big, pricy bags don't always have a compartment for your cell phone.) That's why I can't be bothered with a wallet or purse unless it's from Liz Claiborne, because the bags and wallets are attractive, inexpensive, and have lots of compartments (even my smaller Liz purse). I mean, you shouldn't have to conduct an expedition to find what you need when you open your purse. Or have to look over your shoulder.

No comments: