Monday, August 10, 2009

Ah, cooling it...

cooling treesEven a morning scene like above is not enough to cool you down with brutal temps in the 90s, like today! Thankfully, the a/c was working everywhere I needed to go, as well as at home, and I carried the trusty water bottle around. (I like to freeze three or so partially full water bottles, and fill one up with plain water to take around with me, so the water remains cold for hours. Unfortunately, this only works with Fiji bottles--others are too fragile, and most of the environmentally friendly brands are not transparent.)

After an appointment, I was in the vicinity of a Whole Paycheck, er, Whole Foods, and picked up a couple of things. I was thirsty, but wanted something a bit feistier than plain water, but not too sweet, if possible. I was a bit sickened when I looked in the beverage section, because I saw a few of those *@& vitamin "water" type drinks, or so I thought. Before leaving in disgust, I spied an unusual drink, an herbal water.

I chose the lemon verbena-rose geranium flavored herb water, which, like it says, is simply water with herbal extracts added--just enough to give it a lift without overpowering its wateriness. I like that it's not sweetened and not carbonated, because any drink with carbonation had better have some sweetness or alcohol to keep me from hurling. The presence of carbonation coupled with the absence of sweetness is why I would not be interested in the dry soda put out by a Seattle-based company, as interesting a concept as it is. Much more to my liking is the slightly sweet, mildly carbonated ruby grapefruit juice squeeze put out by Crystal Geyser, which is one of my favorite drinks, when I can find it, that is. (Last place I spotted it was Rodman's.) Ahhh....

No comments: