Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson, 1958-2009

Photo of Michael Jackson via Wikipedia
Photo via Wikipedia.

It happened so suddenly, the death today of superstar Michael Jackson, as confirmed by the Los Angeles Times.

I was thinking recently about how people forget how famous he became at such a young age--the adulation was ridiculous. In the seventies, in addition to touring with his brothers, they also had a weekly variety show for a couple of years; Michael even had a Saturday morning cartoon for a while!

As a little girl, I remember seeing the Jackson Five live at the Shady Grove ampitheater (dating myself--this was pre-Capitol Center!), which had a revolving stage. Groovy!

When he went solo, his album title, Off the Wall, was perfectly named, as it reflected how much more crazy his life would become.

In the end, however, he was just like the rest of us--time is limited. So, I have to listen to one of my favorite songs from him, which I haven't listened to in a while--Time Waits for No One.

No comments: